Frequently asked questions LOT Schools

What happens if I am ill during the school?
Firstly, you have to contact your lecturer and your course consultant to let them know that you are absent. When you are absent at one of the five sessions, you forfeit your chance of obtaining a certificate; you need to be present in all five sessions of the course to earn your ECTS. This holds for both RM1 courses and regular courses. If you think have an extremely good reason to be absent, email your own coordinator to explain. Ask your local coordinator to contact the LOT coordinator to argue for your case. This is the arrangement because we do not know you personally, and your own coordinator does, so they are in a better position to judge your reason to be absent.

Will the certificates be sent automatically?

At most 8 weeks after the end of the class, the students who passed will receive their LOT certificate from the LOT office automatically. If you do not get a certificate, this is most likely because the course consultant for your course did not register your presence at one of the classes. If you think this is a mistake, contact your local coordinator to explain why you were absent and let your local coordinator contact the LOT office.

What are the requirements for writing a paper?

Ask your local coordinator about specific guidelines; LOT only has practical guidelines (deadline, minimum length, supervisor). See here.

I’m a member of another research school, am I allowed to participate?
The LOT schools are primarily meant for graduate students. This means that the schools are open to PhD students affiliated with one of the LOT institutes or other research institutes in the world. Research master students (RM) affiliated with one of the LOT institutes or the LOT partner institutes Leuven and Gent are welcome to participate. We cannot accommodate RM students affiliated with other research institutes or students in one-year MA programs.

I’m a PhD student, am I allowed to participate in a RM1 course?
PhD students and RM2 students can enroll for these courses but we cannot guarantee their participation: RM1 students have priority. This means that if you are a PhD-or RM2-student, your enrollment for an RM1-course might be cancelled. You will be notified of this prior to the school and you will get the chance to enroll in a different course.

I’m a Research Master student, am I allowed to participate in a Research Discussion Group?
No, the Research Discussion Groups are open for PhD students only, since the topics of discussion are PhD's own research projects. Note that even PhD-students are not guaranteed of a place in a RDG; the teacher decides who does and who doesn't qualify. The LOT-coordinator will inform you of the teacher's verdict a month before the school.

What should I do if I want to participate in another course than I registered for ?
For changes regarding your registration, including your courses, you have to fill out another registration form. You can do this until the registration closes.